The Green Choice - Simple and Organic
Choices – it is said that life is made up of choices. With sophisticated marketing we sometimes let our desires get swayed and make a choice that is not best for our bodies. I am going back to keeping it simple – one choice, simple and organic. Eat food that is beneficial for your body. Poor gas in your car will reduce the functioning and longevity of your vehicle. Think of your body as your vehicle. There are many choices in the health food stores now, and organic sections in grocery stores but they can be pricey. You can save a huge amount of money by growing your own food. The history of sprouting goes back thousands of years so this is nothing new. There are various methods now and the Sprout Haus was put together to make growing sprouts easy for you. The process of sprouting releases the vitamins, proteins, minerals and a hundred times enzymes so the nutrients can be digested.
To wrap up, here is some nutritional information.
- Pauline Halstead
Who Am I?
Watching people eating has always incurred a strong feeling of compassion in me, from childhood. I remember watching my Great Uncle Reggie eating one dinner, then another. He was a big person in my life, not just in size, but in personality. He was a harbourmaster who could not swim. He lived a long life so I presume he floated when he fell in the harbour. It is not easy to describe those feelings when watching someone eat – I can only call it compassion. I still get emotional when I recall helping my mother eat before she died.
Helping people has always been part of my life from childhood; it has carried through many years. My parents were kind people and it rubbed off on me. I started Sprouting World two years ago to help people with their nutrition without emptying their purses. For almost 20 years I have offered adaptive kayaking and am the executive director of Abilities In Motion (www.abilitesinmotion.ca).
Of course, over the years I have endured many people questioning why I do this, or why do that – these businesses do not make you lots of money so why would you do it? Those questions just make me dig my heels in and strengthen my passions. Being rich is not just possessing money. Shrouds do not have pockets. My life is very rich.
If you are reading this, then you are probably one of the fortunate in the world who has ample food. For you it is a matter of choice of what to eat. Sprouting World takes a process of obtaining huge nutrition for pennies and brings it to you in the form of the Sprout Haus, showing you how you can easily add nature’s perfect nutrition into your diet. It is another choice in your food diet – the rest is down to you.
- Pauline Halstead
10 Reasons Why you Should be Eating Sprouts
Sprouts truly are the best locally-grown food, yet not enough people eat or grow them. Considering there many health and environmental benefits, it’s time to consider adding sprouts to your diet. Here are 10 reasons to eat more sprouts:
- Experts estimate that there can be up to 100 times more enzymes in sprouts than uncooked fruits and vegetables. Enzymes are special types of proteins that act as catalysts for all your body’s functions. Extracting more vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and essential fatty acids from the foods you eat ensures that your body has the nutritional building blocks of life to ensure every process works more effectively.
- The quality of the protein in the beans, nuts, seeds, or grains improves when it is sprouted. Proteins change during the soaking and sprouting process, improving its nutritional value. The amino acid lysine, for example, which is needed to prevent cold sores and to maintain a healthy immune system increases significantly during the sprouting process.
- The fiber content of the beans, nuts, seeds, or grains increases substantially. Fiber is critical to weight loss. It not only binds to fats and toxins in our body to escort them out, it ensures that any fat our body breaks down is moved quickly out of the body before it can resorb through the walls of the intestines (which is the main place for nutrient absorption into the blood).
- Vitamin content increases dramatically. This is especially true of vitamins A, B-complex, C, and E. The vitamin content of some seeds, grains, beans, or nuts increases by up to 20 times the original value within only a few days of sprouting. Research shows that during the sprouting process mung beansprouts (or just beansprouts, as they are often called) increase in vitamin B1 by up to 285 percent, vitamin B2 by up to 515 percent, and niacin by up to 256 percent.
- Essential fatty acid content increases during the sprouting process. Most of us are deficient in these fat-burning essential fats because they are not common in our diet. Eating more sprouts is an excellent way to get more of these important nutrients.
- During sprouting, minerals bind to protein in the seed, grain, nut, or bean, making them more useable in the body. This is true of alkaline minerals like calcium, magnesium, and others that help us to balance our body chemistry for weight loss and better health.
- Sprouts are the ultimate locally-grown food. When you grow them yourself you are helping the environment and ensuring that you are not getting unwanted pesticides, food additives, and other harmful fat-bolstering chemicals that thwart your weight loss efforts.
- The energy contained in the seed, grain, nut, or legume is ignited through sprouting.
- Sprouts are alkalizing to your body. Many illnesses including cancer have been linked to excess acidity in the body.
- Sprouts are inexpensive. People frequently use the cost of healthy foods as an excuse for not eating healthy. But, with sprouts being so cheap, there really is no excuse for not eating healthier.
- Pauline Halstead
- Tags: Education
KISS - Keep It Simple Sprouter
I am a stand for simple, natural foods. No bells or whistles except for the one that your stomach rings when it receives enzymes to help it work on the nutrients that have just dropped down.
For some years, the saying, “You are what you eat,” was bandied around. It is not heard often these days but the words are still true. Of course, there are some people with long life genes and some with stress-free lives but poor quality nutrition would still have a negative effect on their health. Imagine always running your car on low quality gas and cheap, nasty oil. It is doubtful that you would attain high mileage from your engine. Our bodies are engines too!
There is a growing organic trend and consumers are becoming more aware of what they are buying. That is good, however, almost all products in grocery stores are now processed foods. Those foods may be from GMO, pesticide sprayed, chemicals added — with almost everything having sugar and wheat in the ingredients.
There are ways to eat clean, natural food. One way, of course, is to cultivate your own garden, if you have one. Alternatively, grow food indoors using the Sprout Haus while saving money and learning a new, fun skill at the same time. Each blog will show a different bean or seed.
- Pauline Halstead
The future of sprouting - regain your health
Sprouting World has been busy at shows introducing people to sprouting. I found a steep learning curve; as much as I thought I knew a fair bit about sprouting, I moved up to a new level. The more I learn, the more I find there is to know.
One person who led the organic sprouting march was Steve Meyerwitz –Sproutman. He was my icon, a man who knew everything. Sadly, on September 9th, 2015, he died in a car accident. Sproutman will continue with his sons. Steve Meyerwitz leaves a legacy of healthy eating.
Sprouting World will carry on where Sproutman left off – to introduce people to sprouting to improve their health, save money, and start a new hobby.
Contact me at Sprouting World with your questions. Watch the website - new products will be posted soon.
- Pauline Halstead