Instructions for Sprouting
Eg. Mung, Chickpeas, Peas, French lentils
- Put the desired amount of beans into the mesh tray (suggest to start with 2-4 tablespoons).
- Rinse the beans under the tap.
- Put about 1 cup of water into the base.
- Put the mesh tray into the base.
- Gently place the dome on top (gases are produced during germination and need to escape so gently does it!).
- Place the sprouting dome on your countertop or somewhere that is not sunny.
- Wait about 12 hours. Some people rinse/change water morning and night.
- After 12 hours, rinse the beans well under the tap and change the water in the base. The first time you do this the water will be brownish – this is the by-product of germination (other plants love to drink it!)
- Every 12 hours, rinse the beans well under the tap and change the water in the base.
- Your sprouts are ready to eat when you can see a shoot growing out of the bean about half the length of the bean. If you leave the sprouts (remember to rinse and change the water every 12 hours) the shoots will keep growing, eventually with leaves.
- Your sprouted beans can be rinsed, dried with a clean tea towel or paper towel and stored in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
For fine seeds you can:
Soak the seeds until they are large enough to sit on top of the mesh
Put in the sprouter, cover with water to swell the seed. When it is time to rinse, catch the seeds in a fine mesh (tea strainer, flour sieve), rinse them, replace the water, and put back into the sprouter. Cover with water and repeat every 12 hours until they stay on the mesh. Then follow the instructions for beans.
Remember: rinse the beans/seeds, change the water, replace the dome!
Et voilà! You've mastered sprouting! Enjoy the fruits of your (minimal) labour!
Get back to your roots!